Saturday, June 24, 2006

But Does it Run Linux?

In a post that only the tech-geekiest of exegetes will find remotely relevant (I can't be the only one. Well, okay, I probably am. . .), I bring to you the first of what might be a monthly-ish feature. Or might never pop-up again. We'll see how it goes.

Choosing Bible Software brings a number of questions: How expandable is it? How are the exploiting the intelligence of their users to improve the product? But most important to us Slashdot reading geeks: Does it run on Linux?

For our first edition, we'll take a look at Bibleworks 5 (which I presume some people still have), 6, and 7. I'll attempt to install them using Crossover Offce and good old fashioned WINE. If installation is successful, I'll take a look at how functional the programs are under this environment. Today, this will be quite simple:

Bibleworks 5

Install went off without a hitch. Functionality was incredibly limited. Search worked off and on, though more off than on. The mouseover information provided in the panes, well, sucked. It lagged something awful, generally providing information on the word or verse I was mousing over thirty to forty seconds prior. When even these basic functions fail, I don't think I need to get into a more detailed look under the hood.

Bibleworks 6

Flawless. If there's a bug somewhere in the application under WINE, I couldn't find it. Not only flawless, but fast. Almost seemed a native Linux Application.

Bibleworks 7

Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get this to install.

Thus I'd reccommend the Linux enthusiast looking for a Bibleworks Version to stick with Bibleworks 6. User Created Databases can provide nearly all of the additional modules found in BW7, and thus there is no hurry to upgrade for the Microsoft despising exegete.

1 comment:

mat_skm said...

You're not the only tech exegete. This was a useful post. I've been running bibleworks 6 on windows for a couple of years and would love to move over to linux (which I have running on 2 other machines).